Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Science Fair!
This year I asked Katelynn if she wanted to be in the Science Fair. "sure" she says. Ok then what would you like to study? "the moon". What about the moon? " how it gets is shapes". Hmmm.... How do you think the moon gets its shapes? "from the Earth". Well then I guess we have a Science Project! She did Great! First we looked on the Internet to study the different phases of the moon and found out that there are 8 phases (did you know that?). Also had to test her theory of the Earth causing the phases, and well she found out that she was wrong. This is how she would say it" the sun bounces off the moon and back onto the Earth that is how we see the moon". She also learned the many phases like the New Moon and the Waxing Moon oh and there is the Full Moon stuff like that. She loves it in fact every time we are outside now we try to figure out what phase the Moon is at, and which way it will be going from Waxing to Waning(right or left). Then we Made a moon box out of a shoe box painted the inside and also poked holes in the box at different angles, put a flashlight in it and you could see the different phases of the moon, and how it is affected by the different angles you are looking through (cause you know the different phases are caused by the Sun and where it happens to be shining at the time).Did you also know that the Moon is always half-way lit we only see the part we are facing at the time. She did so well she got what they call SWEEPSTAKES(which means she gets to go to the district Science Fair). Once she got to the District Science Fair she managed to pull off a 1st place. WOW and she is only in 2nd grade. Took James and I at least till 7th grade to reach that status... Nice now on to being an Astronaut!
<


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so proud of you Katelynn for working so hard on this. Love Grammy
That is totally awesome!!! I bet you had so much fun putting that together! (I wanted to be an astronaut when I was growing up!) WAY TO GO!!!
Post a Comment